Entangled Sea Turtles and Other Wildlife
Sea turtles, marine mammals, seabirds, and other wildlife can be injured by marine debris if they get entangled in or swallow fishing line, pieces of plastic, or other debris.
For more tips on how to prevent injuries to sea turtles while fishing and boating, see the Share the Shore Y’all program.
Follow These Tips to Prevent Wildlife Entanglements When Fishing
- Always properly dispose of your fishing line
- Never throw trash in the water
- Have a system for containing garbage onboard your vessel so that it doesn’t get blown overboard
- Retrieve and dispose of any floating trash you see, if safe to do so
- Inspect your gear before you begin fishing to reduce line breaks while fishing
- Never leave fishing gear unattended while in the water
- Do not discard bait or fish scraps in the water, as this will attract marine life
- Move to another area if you spot a sea turtle or marine mammal nearby while fishing