Fishing Tournament Weighmaster Training Program
Weighmasters are essential personnel at sportfishing tournaments. They weigh and measure the fish that are entered into the tournament and oversee the weigh-in process. With the large number of fishing tournaments that are held in Texas, there is a coast-wide and community need for well-trained, knowledgeable weighmasters in Texas.
LOOKING FOR QUALIFIED WEIGHMASTERS?
If you are hosting a fishing tournament on the Texas coast and need a weighmaster, email firstname.lastname@example.org for a list of qualified, experienced weighmasters who have taken our training course so that you can find a weighmaster in your area.
INTERESTED IN BECOMING A WEIGHMASTER?
SIGN UP FOR OUR TEXAS SEA GRANT WEIGHMASTER TRAINING PROGRAM
Past Classes: May 24-25, 2023; October 5-6, 2022; May 23-24, 2022
This program will teach interested individuals how to serve as weighmasters. Course participants will learn:
- The weighmaster’s role and responsibilities
- How to weigh and measure fish
- Fish Identification
- How to assess fish freshness
- Steps in the weigh-in process, including weigh station set-up
- Code of conduct
- And more!
Through a combination of presentations, video demonstrations, and a final exam, this program will provide participants with classroom knowledge and skills needed to assist at a weigh station at saltwater sportfishing tournaments. In addition to this classroom training, Sea Grant strongly recommends that participants gain hands-on experience by assisting a weighmaster at an event. After gaining this practical experience supporting real fishing tournaments, participants can choose to have their names added to a list of trained weighmasters on the Texas Sea Grant website. Tournament directors can then consult the list if they need a weighmaster to assist at their tournament.
WHAT PARTICIPANTS WILL GET OUT OF THE COURSE:
- A Certificate of Completion at the end of the course stating that they completed the required training in the weighmaster’s role, fish identification, fish freshness, the weigh-in process, and other related topics
- Training provided by AgriLife and Sea Grant extension agents and specialists who are experienced weighmasters
- Their name added to the list of trained weighmasters on the Texas Sea Grant website, if desired
- Supplies such as protective gloves and a tape measure to measure fish
- A logbook that can be used to keep a record of each tournament that they assist at
- Printed and electronic copies of Saltwater Fishes of Texas fish identification guide
- Copies of all training presentations and video demonstrations
PARTICIPANTS WILL ALSO:
- Gain valuable leadership experience while serving their communities
- Support Texas’ recreational fishing industry
- Learn new skills, including how to use a scientific identification guide and how to tell if fish have been previously frozen or altered
TEXAS SALTWATER FISHING TOURNAMENTS
Interested in fishing in a Texas saltwater tournament? Check out this list to find one in your area! Whether you’re looking to fish inshore or offshore, by boat or from land, there is a tournament for everyone!
Texas Sea Grant is not affiliated with any of the saltwater fishing tournaments listed. If you are affiliated with a tournament that is not on our list and would like it to be added, please email the tournament information to email@example.com.